News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Delusional Charger sellers

Started by Homerr, November 09, 2014, 02:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegasCharger

UH60L

Ya know, it's funny, a lot of people probably think I am one of those delusional guys.

I am alwasy getting asked "how much will your car be worth when it's done?", and I always give them a number way higher than I think it will be worth....because I have no intention of ever selling it.

PrisonHack

I may be one of the dellusional buyers Im not sure. I spend a lot of time looking but haven't bought yet, I want to find (dillusional or not) a car in the 15K-20K range that drives, now by drive I don't mean I expect to be able to make a cross country trip in it, I just want to know all parts are there for it to move under its own power. I fully expect to have to freshen up an engine/transmission and redo an interior at that price though. I will also be one of those guys who makes a patch panel before ordering a full piece if possible and will probably recieve a bargain paint job from by friend that teaches at the local vocational school. Don't even have a desire for a pristine show car, I want something I can drive and not stress too badly over. I'm probably one of those guys who annoys some people on here because I post ads and ask for opinions and ask other dumb questions, but it's because I just want to gain all the knowledge I can while Im looking.

Now as far as delusional sellers, I seem to only find cars for 35K and up that are pretty much done and are out of my price range or I find a shell that needs every panel replaced that someone wants 10K for. Now those raggedy shells seem dillusional to me, but then again they own a charger and I don't so.......

Challenger340

Quote from: PrisonHack on February 12, 2015, 08:35:16 AM
I may be one of the dellusional buyers Im not sure. I spend a lot of time looking but haven't bought yet, I want to find (dillusional or not) a car in the 15K-20K range that drives, now by drive I don't mean I expect to be able to make a cross country trip in it, I just want to know all parts are there for it to move under its own power. I fully expect to have to freshen up an engine/transmission and redo an interior at that price though. I will also be one of those guys who makes a patch panel before ordering a full piece if possible and will probably recieve a bargain paint job from by friend that teaches at the local vocational school. Don't even have a desire for a pristine show car, I want something I can drive and not stress too badly over. I'm probably one of those guys who annoys some people on here because I post ads and ask for opinions and ask other dumb questions, but it's because I just want to gain all the knowledge I can while Im looking.

Now as far as delusional sellers, I seem to only find cars for 35K and up that are pretty much done and are out of my price range or I find a shell that needs every panel replaced that someone wants 10K for. Now those raggedy shells seem dillusional to me, but then again they own a charger and I don't so.......

I don't think you are a delusional Buyer, so much as you are stuck looking in that "mid" condition range, that seems to be totally missing with these Cars and at least partly responsible for the price pressures on the Lower end stuff as well ?
From what you described as what you want in a Charger, those seem to be the toughest to find ?

Case in point....
My neighbor had one... just a 318 2 BBL, bench/column, seats were falling apart but all there interior-wise, rust at the lower rear quarters, some @ the rear windows corners, and it probably could have used a trunk floor at some point but was there for now with no holes, Floor Pans were solid & Good, Had a ding in the LF Fender/Bumper but the grill was still OK, it ran and drove under it's own power just fine even with 1 burnt valve, and the brakes, steering, etc., was OK.
So basically a complete and running 150,000+ mile 318 example, albeit needed some TLC while you drove it.

Be dammed if he didn't get $28K Cnd(~$21K U.S.) for it when he sold it !! and to the 2nd guy who came and looked, with the 1st guy phoning back after it was already gone, then fully disappointed for snoozing !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

6spd68

Quote from: Challenger340 on February 12, 2015, 09:15:34 AM

Case in point....
My neighbor had one... just a 318 2 BBL, bench/column, seats were falling apart but all there interior-wise, rust at the lower rear quarters, some @ the rear windows corners, and it probably could have used a trunk floor at some point but was there for now with no holes, Floor Pans were solid & Good, Had a ding in the LF Fender/Bumper but the grill was still OK, it ran and drove under it's own power just fine even with 1 burnt valve, and the brakes, steering, etc., was OK.
So basically a complete and running 150,000+ mile 318 example, albeit needed some TLC while you drove it.

Be dammed if he didn't get $28K Cnd(~$21K U.S.) for it when he sold it !! and to the 2nd guy who came and looked, with the 1st guy phoning back after it was already gone, then fully disappointed for snoozing !

Agreed!  In Canada; you'd be hard pressed to find a car under 30K that doesn't need work like the one Challenger340 mentioned.  The craziest thing is that people WILL pay that too.  Personally suprised he was able to get that kinda cash for a 318 car, but hey; it drove...  Hell, I still question my sanity after paying 16K for a shell (albeit no metal work needed), but a guy in Quebec wanted 20K for one similar.
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

bull

The one I remember best is a 318 69 that sat for years outside in my home town. I had heard it was for sale but rumor had it the guy's asking price was nuts. Finally after driving past the car for years I decided to stop in and ask. He wanted $12k. The roof had cancer so bad it looked like Swiss cheese and of course the rain and snow fell right through the holes and rotted the whole interior and floor. It was a huge mess and this was in the late 80s too so really nice running and driving 2nd gens weren't even fetching $12k. Crazy.

Mike DC

The hobby naturally eliminates the mid-range cars over time.  The better half of the cars get restored by owners gradually, and they part-out the worse ones in the process.

These cars are pushing 50 years old.  They don't survive to the present unless there has been an investment of money into them.   Maybe it's a steady investment of indoor storage, maybe it's a lot of maintenance work, maybe it's a big full-blown resto, but it had to be SOMETHING.  That's why you will never get one cheap anymore.  Nobody is going to sell a car cheap once they have spent a lot on it.   

twodko

True that. Mid condition cars ESPECIALLY 2nd gens are becoming elusive at best
and are selling for pretty much top dollar.
A fully restored original everything '69 Charger R/T 440 auto with full documentation and
resto receipts are selling for $50-60k+.
This same car with a 4spd is even more expensive and with a hemi..........over the top.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Challenger340

Quote from: twodko on February 13, 2015, 04:36:07 PM
True that. Mid condition cars ESPECIALLY 2nd gens are becoming elusive at best
and are selling for pretty much top dollar.
A fully restored original everything '69 Charger R/T 440 auto with full documentation and
resto receipts are selling for $50-60k+.
This same car with a 4spd is even more expensive and with a hemi..........over the top.

I dunno about this market ?
What goes UP... usually must come DOWN ?
But I keep coming back to the current economy, sort of uncharted territory ?.... where it seems where "cash" and those that have it, are still chasing asset value of any kind in a market devoid of any REAL interest rate return ?
IMO,
It is quite possible prices could get even stooopider ?  before they level off or turnaround ?
Certainly no riskier than the  the DOW or S & P for crissakes ?

Drache

QuoteTHIS IS A FAMILY OWNED FROM NEW CAR THAT WILL BE AT THE WORLD OF WHEELS THIS YEAR. YOU CAN COME DOWN TO THE WORLD OF WHEELS AND TALK TO ME ABOUT THE CAR IN FULL DETAIL. THE CAR SPEAKS FOR ITSELF

$110,000.00

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1969-dodge-charger-see-it-at-world-of-wheels/1051316038?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Challenger340

Quote from: Drache on February 14, 2015, 08:47:01 PM
QuoteTHIS IS A FAMILY OWNED FROM NEW CAR THAT WILL BE AT THE WORLD OF WHEELS THIS YEAR. YOU CAN COME DOWN TO THE WORLD OF WHEELS AND TALK TO ME ABOUT THE CAR IN FULL DETAIL. THE CAR SPEAKS FOR ITSELF

$110,000.00

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1969-dodge-charger-see-it-at-world-of-wheels/1051316038?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I have seen this Car up close and personal, talked with the owner, and I kind of knew about it's existence for many decades, but the family would not sell.
It is a one Owner Car, bought brand new by the father then passed down to the daughter in the family.

Just my opinion,
but THIS Car.... is absolutely perfect if you see it up close ? These pictures just don't do it any justice !
And even the "resto" ???.... which it was still in just beautiful condition BEFORE.... was more like just an extended "detailing" endeavor, because the car was in such great shape.
Personally, if I was in the market....... I WOULD PAY $75K ($100K Canadian) for this one, waaaay before any the prices I've seen for others in this thread.

Cooter

Funny, the only ones complaining about delusions in pricing are the ones that own these cars.....

The rest of the free world understands they cost alot.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

Yep. 

People like us complain that these cars are overpriced . . .  except we can't rebuild another one ourselves for even the same as the going price, never mind any less than that.   

I don't know where it's written in stone that a 50yo popular classic car should be available for half the price of its parts.   

Ghoste

Its always been that way and in another 50 years people will still be complaining. 

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 15, 2015, 09:05:31 PM
Yep. 

People like us complain that these cars are overpriced . . .  except we can't rebuild another one ourselves for even the same as the going price, never mind any less than that.   

I don't know where it's written in stone that a 50yo popular classic car should be available for half the price of its parts.   

its always been that way in fact if you put aftermarket parts on a car the price gets deducted for MSRP on the part on the car.  For example I was selling a vehicle with a full hotchkis setup on it the buyer then saids, 'well that's a full hotchkis kit I see and those retail for 3500 dollars im gonna have to deduct the asking price'  and then he went on about having a holley carb vs stock carb and alum. radiator vs black and this SOB tried to get the car for FREE  :icon_smile_big:

Mike DC

Quoteits always been that way in fact if you put aftermarket parts on a car the price gets deducted for MSRP on the part on the car.  For example I was selling a vehicle with a full hotchkis setup on it the buyer then saids, 'well that's a full hotchkis kit I see and those retail for 3500 dollars im gonna have to deduct the asking price'  and then he went on about having a holley carb vs stock carb and alum. radiator vs black and this SOB tried to get the car for FREE

That's some interesting logic on the buyer's part. 

The Hotchkiss kit costs $3500.  So he deducts that price from the car's worth, instead of deducting the (much cheaper) price of the removed stock suspension?  Does he think you have to buy a second Hotchkiss setup to get the stock one back, or something? 

Ghoste

Believe it or not, a lot of people don't want to buy the aftermarket stuff people add to their cars in the name of improving it so they deduct knowing they will need to go through the expense of returning it to stock.  That has also been true in the collector car hobby for a very long time.

Mike DC

I get that.  But most of the people in this hobby don't really try to deal in labor prices like that.  

And if the Hotchkiss stuff was priced at $10k, that would not make it cost $10k to put back to stock.  The price of the Hotchkiss stuff is not a relevant figure.  

It's like offering your Hemi clone car for sale and having a buyer say, "Well I want the original 318 drivetrain back in it, so please subtract $25k from the car's price."  Nice try, man.

Ghoste

Cooter

Tryin to sell the Dart right now. You wouldn't believe the idiots trying to trade boats/bikes/etc. Stuff.
then, wanting a car I built over 20 years ago for peanuts, KNOWING they cannot buy/build the same car today for what I'm asking.

You state clearly in the ad that it will need finishing. AlwAys got some tool gonna ask is it fully stock and can I drive a street/strip car with s stroker and 3.91 gears across country...

Same ol same ol. People just wanna see sellers struggle for every cent like it makes em feel better about being the tool they are or something.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

skip68

I hear you cooter.   8 years ago I sold my Power Stroke F-250 ex-cab with a utility bed.  The idiot trying to buy it complained about having to change it back to a regular bed truck and wanted me to lower my price $1500-2000.    ::) 
I told him to go buy a regular diesel truck.   Kinda strange that he brings it up like it was a surprise having the utility bed when he came to look at it.   The ad was very clear with pictures.   Frickin tire kickers.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

MxRacer855

Quote from: Cooter on February 16, 2015, 01:04:24 PM
Tryin to sell the Dart right now. You wouldn't believe the idiots trying to trade boats/bikes/etc. Stuff.
then, wanting a car I built over 20 years ago for peanuts, KNOWING they cannot buy/build the same car today for what I'm asking.

You state clearly in the ad that it will need finishing. AlwAys got some tool gonna ask is it fully stock and can I drive a street/strip car with s stroker and 3.91 gears across country...

Same ol same ol. People just wanna see sellers struggle for every cent like it makes em feel better about being the tool they are or something.

Hey Cooter,

Sounds like a cool car! How about this... I'll pay you half of your asking price (no, no.. hear me out), half of your asking price (25% up front in the form of a check, the other 25% within the first three years - you CAN TRUST ME), give you a set of last seasons Blackhawks tickets, a coupon to Jewel Osco (only good through March 31st), some old two-stroke pre-mix oil, a few motocross riding lessons, an autographed Kiss poster (a little bit of water damage in the 80's around the corners), and my dad's August of 1995 Playboy with Pamela Anderson on the cover. I wouldn't have a clue how you could even consider passing an offer like this up...

I'll consider an even trade plus cash on YOUR end for my '86 blazer if the car is in as good of shape as you said it is...  :icon_smile_wink: 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

1965gp

That's not pretty but it does look solid and complete. Will probably get right at 20k for that car.

6spd68

Quote from: 1965gp on February 20, 2015, 03:49:35 PM
That's not pretty but it does look solid and complete. Will probably get right at 20k for that car.
X2, I'm thinking highest I would go would be 19k
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."