News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

The black red car was on ebay and was a orig A4 silver column car.I have its vin and other info I recorded from it.I saw it in Houston TX.It later got sold in 87 in TX .Then it came to the east coast .And I saw it again .And met the guy who had it in NJ  was Pat D had owned it. and sold it to George.Who turned out to be the guy who sold my friend. Bill the white on red on daytona seen in supercars book.his name was George Harrison like the famous beatle  .He had the car in a mopar magazine 80- or 90s wearing PA plates 69 WING XX29L9B402971.When George had it was black with tinted windows centerlines.And after market floor shifter.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

2007/2008 PARTS SHOPPING!
This will probably be my last post for a few days! I have to get the Daytona loaded up for the display at the Indy trade show and swap meet. I hope some fellow forum members can make the trip and say hi! Since I had bought a few wrong parts, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a 1969 dealer parts book! Everyone will tell you the part they are selling fits everything just to sell it to you! EBAY has some of the best of these where it tells you it fits everything and then they have the disclaimer " CHECK YOUR PART NUMBERS FOR THE CORRECT APPICATIONS". Then they also state no returns! The book is a lifesaver! Everytime I see an ad I can look in the numerical index and see if it's there and that weeds out most of the wrong parts. If it is there I can look it up and make sure it's correct for my body style and model. I would reccomend this to anyone buying parts!

nascarxx29

I had those those 69 70 books .But now there on a CD takes up alot less room

Mopar John

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 04, 2010, 12:09:25 PM
The black red car was on ebay and was a orig A4 silver column car.I have its vin and other info I recorded from it.I saw it in Houston TX.It later got sold in 87 in TX .Then it came to the east coast .And I saw it again .And met the guy who had it in NJ  was Pat D had owned it. and sold it to George.Who turned out to be the guy who sold my friend. Bill the white on red on daytona seen in supercars book.his name was George Harrison like the famous beatle  .He had the car in a mopar magazine 80- or 90s wearing PA plates 69 WING XX29L9B402971.When George had it was black with tinted windows centerlines.And after market floor shifter.

We'll one of 2 is still pretty rare! I think the very plain hubcaps are seldom seen also!
Thanks for the detailed info!

hemigeno

I only know of 8 cars with the C21 Armrest option, and yours is the only B5/C6D combo of those.  There are almost certainly more "buddy seat" Daytonas than that, but exactly how many is anyone's guess at this point.  It is a very rare combination for sure.

Incidentally, I'd be interested to know what "Sequence Number" is in the top left corner your broadcast sheet.  Your B5 car's VIN is right before mine and has the same SPD, but there is often a wide margin between when it was schedule for production and when it was actually built.   :scratchchin:

Mopar John

Quote from: hemigeno on March 04, 2010, 06:05:48 PM
I only know of 8 cars with the C21 Armrest option, and yours is the only B5/C6D combo of those.  There are almost certainly more "buddy seat" Daytonas than that, but exactly how many is anyone's guess at this point.  It is a very rare combination for sure.

Incidentally, I'd be interested to know what "Sequence Number" is in the top left corner your broadcast sheet.  Your B5 car's VIN is right before mine and has the same SPD, but there is often a wide margin between when it was schedule for production and when it was actually built.   :scratchchin:

My B5 Daytonas sequence number is 108075. What is the sequence number of yours?

maxwellwedge

Hey John - I also thought the same as you on those side markers but I did some digging....as in looking at my own cars and all the later cars had a mix of both styles. I asked Frank B. and a few others and they confirmed the same thing. Chrysler was about the cheapest of the Big 3 and never threw anything away....Government law or not - they are going to use up their parts!

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on March 03, 2010, 07:01:42 PM
Jim,
It looks like the same guy put the numbers on the valve covers! If you look close in the picture there is a #5 on the front of the drivers side valve cover!

Ahh, that's priceless..... So, both numbers on your Daytona's valve covers are on the front... Sweet... Will make life for me a little easier.....  :2thumbs:

You guys rock !!!!  Thanks J & J...........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

John, hoping to run into you and your Daytona at the Indy swap meet at some point this weekend. Have a few basketball games to attend first and a house to look at but I plan on being there to look the Daytona over.

Side note here but one of the 5 Daytona's my dad had was a buddy seat car as well. R4 red with red interior, white tail stripe car.

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 04, 2010, 07:30:24 PM
Hey John - I also thought the same as you on those side markers but I did some digging....as in looking at my own cars and all the later cars had a mix of both styles. I asked Frank B. and a few others and they confirmed the same thing. Chrysler was about the cheapest of the Big 3 and never threw anything away....Government law or not - they are going to use up their parts!
Jim,
Both of my Daytonas the R4 built on June 5th and the B5 built on June 9th had the original 4 section type all the way around! Out of the twenty Daytonas at Talladega only 3 had the 4 section type?? I was lucky to buy some assembly line NOS from a guy up in Michigan!

Mopar John

Quote from: 69_500 on March 04, 2010, 09:33:11 PM
John, hoping to run into you and your Daytona at the Indy swap meet at some point this weekend. Have a few basketball games to attend first and a house to look at but I plan on being there to look the Daytona over.

Side note here but one of the 5 Daytona's my dad had was a buddy seat car as well. R4 red with red interior, white tail stripe car.
69_500,
R4 red with a red interior is rare and with a buddy seat! WOW! I can't believe all the Daytonas with buddy seats! That is the second thing I look for after the W11 hubcaps! The Daytona is loaded for the trip down early in the morning! See you this weekend!

nascarxx29

Here is another known buddy seat car
I did find a stack of documentation for a 440 X9 car from shipping memorandum to window sticker and copy of the buildsheet.That was sent to me from a friend wanting to buy this car alongtime back .When the car was in Alabama to photograph and inspect XX29L9B [[[[[[405187]]]]]].Its was paid for by Virginia national bank.Sold to P D Welch & Company Selma Rd Orange VA .And optioned as {A36 performance axle package [B51 power brakes] [C21 center front seat with armrest] [D34Torque flite trans [D56 3.55 axle ratio] [E86 440] [R11 am radio]  [S77 PS] [V88 stripe delete [W21 road wheels] [Y39 special order] [T82 whitewalls]  409 destination charge

Quote earlier by Hemi Geno I know of another one that is probably completely or very nearly restored by now.  They were just starting the resto this time last year.

440/727, X9 exterior & interior, Red stripe.  [[[[405187]]]]]], owned by Tom A

Another Column car Barry Washington has buildsheet for
XX29L9B402978 - Daytona broadcast sheet

johntpr

Yep, that's the black Daytona I almost bought....I think the seller was at 26k, and I was at 23k ! I should have bought it! Flew down to Alabama, and everything. 

hemigeno

Quote from: Mopar John on March 04, 2010, 06:37:23 PM

Mine's 106768... fairly close, but it highlights the point that even though our cars are sequential VINs, it appears that they were 1,307 cars apart on the actual assembly line.  Andrew T.'s 410772 (yes Dave, it's your old car) has a sequence number only 24 lower than mine even though the VINs are not super-close.  Based on that car's engine assembly date of 6/11, my best guess -- and Frank Badalson's too -- is that our cars were probably built a week or more after that.

The Kanofsky's car which is only 4 digits higher than my car's VIN, 5 higher than yours, has a sequence # of 109162; over 1000 cars after yours.

:scratchchin:

Dave Kanofsky

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Mopar John on March 04, 2010, 09:59:14 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 04, 2010, 07:30:24 PM
Jim,
Both of my Daytonas the R4 built on June 5th and the B5 built on June 9th had the original 4 section type all the way around! Out of the twenty Daytonas at Talladega only 3 had the 4 section type?? I was lucky to buy some assembly line NOS from a guy up in Michigan!

I checked 6 late (untouched) cars 3 Daytona's, 2 A12's and a late June built Swinger. Two had 3 of the "4 section", and the other four cars had  2 of the "4 section". Badalson's been documenting this little detail for a long time and generally sums it up like this, "Early cars are all 2 section, late cars are all over the map - any combo of 4 section and 2 section".

But, to be honest I would try and get the 4 section as you did for all 4 corners....good score for sure!

Bob T

Hey Mopar John, what a fascinating read this thread/bio has been , you have sure packed a lot of car stuff in your life so far. Great reading about the dragracing as well as the Wing cars.  From the little country at the bottom of the world where I have seen only 1 Daytona and 2 Superbirds and know of only 1 other.
Thanks for sharing your pictures and experiences  :2thumbs:
Cheers Bob T
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

tan top

lot of good intresting , info on Daytonas , love reading stuff like this  :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

nascarxx29

Pauk Kaufmann had a column shift daytona hes from NJ .Ive worked on his current R4 daytona and furnished parts

.  Paul Kaufmann, 45, of Bernardsville, New Jersey, at one point owned a [[[[[[[[[[[B5 blue Daytona with a column shift automatic]]]]]]]]]]], but at the age of 22, decided that he must have an R4 red four-speed Daytona with a black stripe. "I just didn't realize it would take over 16 years to find (it)," he said.

His R4 daytona was Francis Burleys and later Dan Andrews
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2006/06/01/hmn_buyers_guide1.html

Enjoyed reading your wingcar living history.Thanks for sharing your pictures and experiences

My story was working in a junkyard as a dismantler after school .And collected up through the
mid 80-s any make unique muscle car part rims hoods wings motors 6 packs etc etc for years that I had access to .Till the resto musclecar craze was on in later years .And turned around started selling factory correct unique parts to restorers I had in my collection.And bought and sold cars and parts from then till now .Solds cars back in the day like 67 GT 500 shelby  $3000.00 car even still shows up as mine to this with the Shelby registery in Connecuit Had 71 Torino 429 drag pak detroit locker rear .And owned many makes of american muscle.And worked on various car as a side line wrenching and doing electrical wiring work mopars short comming .And wingcar judged some local shows.And got some work out of that exposure.And continue to document cars and collect info and period memorabilia ads etc.My mopar high points being exposed to neighborhood wing car by age 13.Meeting and selling parts to Steve Juliano.And Chevrolet highpoint was a wrecked corvette .I bought from a fellow local junkyard that it would be a replacement rear clip or garage couch.Never had this confirmed car was goldish color had PA license plates.And junkyard told me a guy died in this car .After I got rid of it. I heard racing legend jungle Jim liberman was killed in his corvette in PA on route 3 with his wife following in another car.I never really checked into it but could now via internet

nascarxx29

I just googled I might have owned that car
Death
Liberman died in a head-on car accident in his 1972 Corvette street car with a bus on September 9, 1977.

I also trying to findout what became of this 67 Shelby

Theres lots of cars and historys now by the internet you can research back to the originating dealer and newspaper archive furnish the origination dealer seller ad.And even better when a board member has a recall of a cars history or past event..I emailed the ShelbyAmerican club to trace a old 67 500 Shelby bought and sold back in the day for $3000.00 I hope its alive and well after 25+ years.And they get back to me with something

Mopar John

INDY TRADE SHOW AND SWAP 2010!
I want to share this past weekend at the Indy Cylinder Head Trade Show and Swap. Then all will get caught up with all the other replies! Linda and I left for Indy early Friday and met up with Troy Angelly and his friend John at the motel where we were going to spend the nights over the weekend. We then followed Troy with his trailer that had a rare 1970 pink Superbee. Our Daytona and that Superbee were going to make up his display at the show! We got into the building with the trailers early and unloaded the cars. We positioned the Superbee first and then the Daytona. Troy had speacial ramps built to raise the drivers side of the car. He had hoped this would allow for better viewing of the detailed underside! There were mirrors placed all around the car to help with this also. Once the car was setup I went looking for my fellow Moparts member and fellow CMC member Scott Dowse who had an NOS Charger license lamp assembly! I couldn't find one of these while the car was being restored! I had used an NOS Coronet license lamp and a replated shield that is only used on Chargers since the license plate doesn't fold down! The correct NOS lamp had what we in the galvanizing buisness call "SPANGLE" on it. I will attach the one that we plated and the NOS one with the spangle! What a differance. Paul Jacobs who also works in partnership with Troy brought me a killer pair of front Oriflow shocks that are much better than my originals! I will put the originals on the R4 Daytona! Jeff from the forum known as rtse4spd stopped by with a pair of the straight vacum connectors that he made for me! Thanks! Other members stopping by were John Rizek 501, Dan 69_500 and Troy the site moderator. Many others stopped by to say hi! I also got to chat for a short time with Rick Smits retired center from the Indiana pacers. Rick was taking a picture of the Daytona when I walked up to him. He gave me a look like here comes another one till I informed him that he was taking a picture of my car. Things got better and I asked him if he stiil had all his Mopars? He said that he still had a few including a Hemi Superbird! I invited him to Talladega 2014! He said he wished he would have gone this time! I also have a couple of pictures of the display!

Mopar John

Sorry! The picture of that license lamp makes it look like the lens is cracked and the housing is rusty! I have made a second attempt at a better picture of the before lamp assembly!

Mopar John

Quote from: hemigeno on March 05, 2010, 09:13:26 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on March 04, 2010, 06:37:23 PM

Mine's 106768... fairly close, but it highlights the point that even though our cars are sequential VINs, it appears that they were 1,307 cars apart on the actual assembly line.  Andrew T.'s 410772 (yes Dave, it's your old car) has a sequence number only 24 lower than mine even though the VINs are not super-close.  Based on that car's engine assembly date of 6/11, my best guess -- and Frank Badalson's too -- is that our cars were probably built a week or more after that.

The Kanofsky's car which is only 4 digits higher than my car's VIN, 5 higher than yours, has a sequence # of 109162; over 1000 cars after yours.

:scratchchin:

hemigeno,
Thanks for the detailed information on the sequence numbers!

Mopar John

Quote from: Bob T on March 06, 2010, 04:28:28 AM
Hey Mopar John, what a fascinating read this thread/bio has been , you have sure packed a lot of car stuff in your life so far. Great reading about the dragracing as well as the Wing cars.  From the little country at the bottom of the world where I have seen only 1 Daytona and 2 Superbirds and know of only 1 other.
Thanks for sharing your pictures and experiences  :2thumbs:
Cheers Bob T
Bob T,
I am glad your enjoying the story! That is why I have spent the time to tell It!
Quote from: tan top on March 06, 2010, 05:35:03 AM
lot of good intresting , info on Daytonas , love reading stuff like this  :yesnod: :popcrn:
Thanks! :yesnod:

Mopar John

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 06, 2010, 10:58:01 AM
Pauk Kaufmann had a column shift daytona hes from NJ .Ive worked on his current R4 daytona and furnished parts

.  Paul Kaufmann, 45, of Bernardsville, New Jersey, at one point owned a [[[[[[[[[[[B5 blue Daytona with a column shift automatic]]]]]]]]]]], but at the age of 22, decided that he must have an R4 red four-speed Daytona with a black stripe. "I just didn't realize it would take over 16 years to find (it)," he said.

His R4 daytona was Francis Burleys and later Dan Andrews
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2006/06/01/hmn_buyers_guide1.html

Enjoyed reading your wingcar living history.Thanks for sharing your pictures and experiences

My story was working in a junkyard as a dismantler after school .And collected up through the
mid 80-s any make unique muscle car part rims hoods wings motors 6 packs etc etc for years that I had access to .Till the resto musclecar craze was on in later years .And turned around started selling factory correct unique parts to restorers I had in my collection.And bought and sold cars and parts from then till now .Solds cars back in the day like 67 GT 500 shelby  $3000.00 car even still shows up as mine to this with the Shelby registery in Connecuit Had 71 Torino 429 drag pak detroit locker rear .And owned many makes of american muscle.And worked on various car as a side line wrenching and doing electrical wiring work mopars short comming .And wingcar judged some local shows.And got some work out of that exposure.And continue to document cars and collect info and period memorabilia ads etc.My mopar high points being exposed to neighborhood wing car by age 13.Meeting and selling parts to Steve Juliano.And Chevrolet highpoint was a wrecked corvette .I bought from a fellow local junkyard that it would be a replacement rear clip or garage couch.Never had this confirmed car was goldish color had PA license plates.And junkyard told me a guy died in this car .After I got rid of it. I heard racing legend jungle Jim liberman was killed in his corvette in PA on route 3 with his wife following in another car.I never really checked into it but could now via internet
nascarxx29,
Glad you have enjoyed the story! You speak of working at a junkyard. This brings back my attempt to buy my own junkyard back in the late 70's. I had the deal all worked out but couldn't get the city to transfer the salvage yard license! The previous owner got busted buying city police cars and painting them then rolling back the spedometers! They were still angry with him and took it out on me! :brickwall: