News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Dodge Charger '69 R/T 440cid

Started by Charger´69, March 10, 2010, 09:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger´69

Thanks tan top!  :icon_smile_tongue:

Can someone help me with that carb issue?

"When I floor it fast, it "thinks" a very short time before it starts to move like a maniac. It´s so short time that it is hard to notice, but some adjustments I got to do (?) that it revs always fast when I floor it. Should I change bigger jets (I think Street Avenger 670cfm has #65/68 jets if those aren´t changed ever), adjust vacuum secondaries opening or should I adjust primary power valve?"

Do you guys think that I´ll have to change bigger jets? I think it gets a lot more air now because there are new intake (Edelbrock RPM) and new air filter (K&N X-Stream 14x3"). So bigger jets would make a little more power maybe..? And if that "thinking" would stop also with bigger jets.. That can be caused also from power valve if that is too small now. But they use same #65 power valve in 770cfm Street Avenger so I might try first those bigger jets.

But how big jets can I go..? Those are now #65/68 (if those aren´t changed before, that I don´t know). If I change those to #66/70 or should I go #67/71 or even bigger..? I want to increase primary jets just a little and secondary jets a little more, because I want highest mpg that can be achieved and increasing secondary jets a little more I can ensure that it makes as much power that it can make when driving WOT (means that AFR is somewhere 11.5:1-12.5:1 when driving WOT). And the carb is that Holley Street Avenger vacuum 670cfm.
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006

Charger´69

Quote from: Charger´69 on April 18, 2011, 07:17:18 AM
Thanks tan top!  :icon_smile_tongue:

Can someone help me with that carb issue?

"When I floor it fast, it "thinks" a very short time before it starts to move like a maniac. It´s so short time that it is hard to notice, but some adjustments I got to do (?) that it revs always fast when I floor it. Should I change bigger jets (I think Street Avenger 670cfm has #65/68 jets if those aren´t changed ever), adjust vacuum secondaries opening or should I adjust primary power valve?"

Do you guys think that I´ll have to change bigger jets? I think it gets a lot more air now because there are new intake (Edelbrock RPM) and new air filter (K&N X-Stream 14x3"). So bigger jets would make a little more power maybe..? And if that "thinking" would stop also with bigger jets.. That can be caused also from power valve if that is too small now. But they use same #65 power valve in 770cfm Street Avenger so I might try first those bigger jets.

But how big jets can I go..? Those are now #65/68 (if those aren´t changed before, that I don´t know). If I change those to #66/70 or should I go #67/71 or even bigger..? I want to increase primary jets just a little and secondary jets a little more, because I want highest mpg that can be achieved and increasing secondary jets a little more I can ensure that it makes as much power that it can make when driving WOT (means that AFR is somewhere 11.5:1-12.5:1 when driving WOT). And the carb is that Holley Street Avenger vacuum 670cfm.

So, no one doesn´t even quess....  :shruggy:

Tilar

Could possibly be a distributor advance issue and not the carb at all. Maybe Ron or someone can chime in and give you some things to check.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Charger´69

Quote from: Tilar on April 28, 2011, 03:42:22 AM
Could possibly be a distributor advance issue and not the carb at all. Maybe Ron or someone can chime in and give you some things to check.

Thanks, I know what you mean, but carb tuning ain´t distributor advance issue  :icon_smile_wink: Because I´m interested if someone knows what jet size would be good for this setup  :scratchchin:

elacruze

Quote from: Charger´69 on April 28, 2011, 04:45:32 AM

Thanks, I know what you mean, but carb tuning ain´t distributor advance issue  :icon_smile_wink: Because I´m interested if someone knows what jet size would be good for this setup  :scratchchin:

Your tuning is very difficult to help with online because only you can feel it. It sounds not like a jet problem to me, more like a pump shot adjustment-if the engine never sneezes or stumbles, you may have too much pump shot. If you get a backfire or rough stumble, too little pump. only your spark plugs or a gas analyzer and dyno can tell if the jets are correct.

You may try adjusting the secondaries to open faster, the carb is small for your engine.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Charger´69

Quote from: elacruze on April 28, 2011, 07:41:07 AM
Quote from: Charger´69 on April 28, 2011, 04:45:32 AM

Your tuning is very difficult to help with online because only you can feel it. It sounds not like a jet problem to me, more like a pump shot adjustment-if the engine never sneezes or stumbles, you may have too much pump shot. If you get a backfire or rough stumble, too little pump. only your spark plugs or a gas analyzer and dyno can tell if the jets are correct.

You may try adjusting the secondaries to open faster, the carb is small for your engine.

Yes I know.. I was just wondering that if someone have had or has same kind or near same kind of setup ('69 440cid Magnum, little more cam, HP exhaust manifolds, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and carb size something 650-700cfm) that what jets were used, that I would have something to compare to my jets.

Charger´69

Today we went cruising with Charger. It was so nice weather and all to just cruise around town...  :2thumbs:

I got Holley blue carb gaskets from my friend today, so next thing is that I change those jets. I´ll try first just increasing primary jets +1 and secondary jets +2, I think that should be enough when thinking that I only changed that intake and airfilter to better ones. I think those are now #65/68 and soon those will be #66/70.

I tested acceleration with G-tech today also. Just one time I accelerated and it was first very hard acceleration to this summer, start didn´t go well, but I was more interested about trap speed than nothing else. It went better than last summer according to G-Tech, trap speed was 101.8mph even I had extra weight in car almost 110lbs (my girlfriend  :icon_smile_big: ). So there is some more power now  :icon_smile_wink:

Last summer best trap speed with G-Tech was 100.2mph and in real drag race track 97mph with me only in car. Now with 110lbs extra weight G-Tech gave 101.8mph, and I haven´t even tuned carb at all after changing intake and airfilter. So little tuning and bigger jets and new try with me in car only hopefully gives even better trap speed  :2thumbs:

I got to drive this to somewhere mid to high 13's this summer, it is my goal. First race day is here in may, so not so long time when I´ll get to real track testing new setup. It is easier now to launch car to move, because I have those 10" wide rearwheels with 295 wide tires, much better traction now. But I think I would get much better times if I change torqueconverter to some higher stall converter, maybe something like 2400-2600rpm stall would be best to this setup. Now I have something below 2000rpm stall. And maybe that bigger carb would also give some more power, we´ll see. Maybe I´ll buy bigger carb also, I was thinking Street Avenger 770cfm, that Street Avenger type is now familiar to me so that is why I won´t change different kind carb.

But first race day in real track I drive with this 670cfm, because I wanna know how much better it´ll get with bigger carb later.

Charger´69

Today I opened that Street Avenger 670cfm and checked those jets. Jets was already changed to bigger ones, primary jets was 71 and secondary 73, so those were quite big if thinking that Street Avenger 670cfm comes with 65/68 jets  :scratchchin:

Well, because it has worked so good before with those jets and with original intake and Magnum airfilter, I decided to change secondary jets to one size bigger because I´ve changed those RPM intake and K&N X-Stream airfilter so it gets much more air than before I think. So I didn´t touch to primary jets, I let those be that 71 size and I changed secondary jets to 74. I went testing it and it felt good, though I didn´t notice big difference. But I think it is sure that with this setup and those jets this ain´t lean in any case!  :scratchchin: Holley Street Avenger 770cfm comes with 72/75 jets, I have now 71/74 in Street Avenger 670cfm. I know that these Street Avengers are set pretty lean out of the box, but what do you guys think? Is my 670cfm carb now "overjetted"..?  :scratchchin:

I was thinking would it be better if I decrease jet sizes by two, from 71/74 to 69/72..? That would sound a bit reasonable than my current jets, I think those are quite big to 670cfm carb??  :shruggy:

But I didn´t notice black smoke or it didn´t smell awful, it just makes me wondering because Holley says You shouldn´t have to go bigger jets than +4, now I have both jets +6 bigger than how it comes "out of the box".

Charger´69

Well screw you guys, why you all had to say that I have too small........  :brickwall: :icon_smile_wink:

I couldn´t handle your comments, so I had to order bigger, carb I mean!!!!  :nana: Tomorrow I´ll get that new Street Avenger 770cfm, cool Barry Grant fuel lines and spring set also to adjust vacuum secondaries opening. First thing I do is I change primary jets 1 size bigger and secondary jets 2 size bigger because Street Avengers comes tuned lean, so a little step to richer AFR is reasonable. I think 770cfm comes with 72/75 jets, I´ll try first 73/77 jets. We´ll see how big nightmare is to tune that new carb even it should be driveable out of the box. I´m still just a beginner what comes to carbs, but I´m learning all the time. This ain´t much harder than playing with injected engines  :icon_smile_wink:

... And now, if you won´t help me tune this new 770 Street Avenger or say that I have now too small engine to that carb I´ll order injected 572cid Hemi to this, I´ll survive with injected engines on my own and then I won´t even have to remove those Hemi emblems from doors.....  :D :D :D

LUMI

Brock Samson

I've been running the 770 on my 440 for ten years now, other then adjusting the idle up for a few days and then back down again ( to keep the Amp gauge charging + at stoplights) i haven't fiddled with it at all.. i have no complaints, hope you have fun screwin' around with yours...  :icon_smile_wink:

Charger´69

Quote from: Brock Samson on May 04, 2011, 11:03:56 AM
I've been running the 770 on my 440 for ten years now, other then adjusting the idle up for a few days and then back down again ( to keep the Amp gauge charging + at stoplights) i haven't fiddled with it at all.. i have no complaints, hope you have fun screwin' around with yours...  :icon_smile_wink:

Yes, those will work pretty good usually out of the box. But I´m interested also to get max performance so it will need usually tuning, Holley carbs are tuned to be lean and if it´s lean it doesn´t make max power  :icon_smile_wink: It might be just right for maximun performance out of the box, but that is rare situation and usually it needs bigger jets to get right AFR / maximum performance.

So I´ll be "screwin' around" so long that it gets the highest trap speed and best ET in drag race track  :nana: It´s just not my thing to just bolt-on and drive when there is much potential to get so much more...  :icon_smile_wink:

Back N Black

Charger´69

Quote from: Back N Black on May 04, 2011, 01:52:51 PM
I have the 770 street avenger, its a good carb.  :2thumbs:

I like it too, it´s pretty easy to adjust etc.  :2thumbs: What motor you have and what jets you are using..?  :scratchchin:

Charger´69

So that Holley Street Avenger 770cfm arrived today, so of course I bolted it on immediately!  :2thumbs:

Before bolt on I swapped secondary jets one size bigger (75 -> 76) just for to be sure that it ain´t lean. Now there are 72/76 jets. That Barry Grant fuel line didn´t fit, those were wrong size those adapters that goes to carb. I used Holley´s own fuel line. I had problems with that also, primary fuel inlet didn´t want to start keep fuel inside lines, it dropped fuel. I had to tighten it pretty tight before it stopped dripping...  :RantExplode: Well now it doesn´t drip, but it gets wet some times still... Nice quality  :icon_smile_wink:

Then those both "fuel level windows" cracked, what a nice job to use needle to screw those off from carb...  :slap:

But after all disappointments, I went to cruising and it worked very nice! But I didn´t notice big differences to old carb. BUT, then I swapped that secondary vacuum spring to lighter one, to yellow, and went testing. DAMN, it waked up!!!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: It felt like a beast, it really got more power now. Beast is ready to track!!  :coolgleamA:

Charger´69

I drove it few days and it worked amazing, but then something happened today... When we were cruising, amp meter started to do fast moves and soon there was smell like something was burning and amp meter showed that it won´t charge anymore. Well I checked under the hood, everything seemed to be OK but it didn´t charge at all. I was thinking voltage regulator first (I have that newer electronic VR model VR125), I changed that to new last year when that old went broken. I had second new VR so I changed that, but it charged just something 5-10 seconds and stopped charging again. Now I´m not sure did it broke 2 voltage regulators or is alternator just dead?  :shruggy: I took alternator off, brushes seemed to be fine, what else can go broken in alternator? I think alternator smelled like there was something burned. I have that newer 2 field alternator of course because this charging system is updated to electronic VR system.

I was just wondering that do I have to now order new alternator and new VR also, if it did broke both those voltage regulators that I have.

Charger´69

Today I bought new alternator, it was 65amp alternator, that should be OK without burning wires??  :scratchchin:

It was excatly same kind like my old alternator, BUT there was missing GND-connection pin..? Old alternator had that GND-connection, it is connected to alternator´s chassis of course. Now that new alternator is connected, it is same kind dual field alternator than old one was. But now that wire that was connected to GND pin in alternator is unconnected, what is purpose of that wire? Do I need to connect it to alternator´s chassis or could I leave it unconnected? I think alternator gets GND connection just fine thorough two bolts that it is bolted on engine, I just wonder why there is that GND wire also in Charger´s wire set and in old alternator too, because this newer alternator doesn´t have that GND-connection pin  :shruggy: To where that GND wire goes and is it needed to be connected in alternator´s chassis?

I also bought new VR but old one seemed to work when I drove it 15 minutes today. But if it´s burned also it might start to fail in some point. I charged battery full last night, is it normal that charging voltage is 14.5V when it idles? Battery is full, alternator is new and I suppose that VR works like it should work. And it didn´t rise when I gave more rpm to engine, it was stable at 14.5V.

Charger´69

Well now I know what that wire is... I don´t think that I need it, I started to follow that wire and other end was cut and taped  :rofl: Well, old alternator had connection terminal to other end of that wire though  :rofl:

I removed that wire, OMG, my Charger ain´t original anymore....  :icon_smile_wink:

bobs66440

Quote from: Charger´69 on May 09, 2011, 03:46:34 PM
OMG, my Charger ain´t original anymore....  :icon_smile_wink:
Not original!? You should sell it to me cheap now!   :2thumbs:  ;D

Charger´69

Quote from: bobs66440 on May 10, 2011, 11:22:37 AM
Quote from: Charger´69 on May 09, 2011, 03:46:34 PM
OMG, my Charger ain´t original anymore....  :icon_smile_wink:
Not original!? You should sell it to me cheap now!   :2thumbs:  ;D

Would $2000 be too much...?  :shruggy:

.......  :smilielol:

LUMI

Charger´69

Quote from: LUMI on May 10, 2011, 02:02:30 PM
Quote from: Charger´69 on May 10, 2011, 11:43:07 AM

Would $2000 be too much...?  :shruggy:

.......  :smilielol:

you got a deal
ill pick it up tomorrow :2thumbs:

Damn, did I put too low reserve because you didn´t even try to get it cheaper.......  :smilielol: I thought that this is 42 years old car, $2000 sounded more like high price  :hah:

LUMI

it is only 1400€ :yesnod:
i´ll part it out and make a good profit :nana:
i hope you do not eat your words on this deal :icon_smile_big:

Charger´69

Quote from: LUMI on May 10, 2011, 02:40:21 PM

i hope you do not eat your words on this deal :icon_smile_big:

Ummm, what deal are you talking about....?  :scratchchin: