News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger Build - It moves!

Started by chaos52, June 08, 2012, 12:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fy469rtse

steve mcqueen wouldnt have chased that car ,
would have sat there with his mouth open drooling and staring :lol:

TPR

Nice work all round. Can't wait to see the final result.  :2thumbs:
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

ProDartGTS

I painted my first car (for a customer) when i was Joe's age... in fact I did it when we were expecting him.   It was a red 62 Tbird convertible.   It looked REALLY good...  I've done dozens of cars since then over the last 24 years... but his FIRST car looks better than the LAST one I did.   (which was either a yellow 340 Dart Sport or a grey 35 Chevy Master street rod, I cant remember)  But the thing is, he has done the bulk of project this BY HIMSELF.  

Every time I walk in that shop and see this car,  I cant help but say... Holy SH**!!!   :drool5: :coolgleamA:
Mike
-----------------------------------
1968 Dodge Dart GTS ProStreet
1974 Swinger
1947 Ford Tudor Streetrod

TUFCAT

Quote from: ProDartGTS on September 03, 2014, 02:58:47 PM
I painted my first car (for a customer) when i was Joe's age... in fact I did it when we were expecting him.   It was a red 62 Tbird convertible.   It looked REALLY good...  I've done dozens of cars since then over the last 24 years... but his FIRST car looks better than the LAST one I did.   (which was either a yellow 340 Dart Sport or a grey 35 Chevy Master street rod, I cant remember)  But the thing is, he has done the bulk of project this BY HIMSELF.  

Every time I walk in that shop and see this car,  I cant help but say... Holy SH**!!!   :drool5: :coolgleamA:

That's so awesome!  :2thumbs:

chaos52

The front suspension is all done with new upper and lower control arm bushings, lower ball joints, etc.

Except for one problem - unknown to me, the lower control arms are from a 70s car and the sway bar brackets are in a different place. :brickwall:
So, there's some cutting and welding to be done there. I guess it's all part of piecing a car together from scratch.

I double checked the wheel/tire fitment and am planning to order the tires tomorrow. Barring flood, famine or other natural disasters, it will be on its own feet later this week.  :2thumbs:

chaos52

Just ordered the tires from a local shop. 295/50 and 235/60. They should be in Thursday or Friday.

I wanted Mastercraft Avenger G/T for all 4, but the 295/50s have been on backorder for a month and a half. So, they got me Hankook for the back and Mastercraft for the front. It's not ideal, but I looked them up and the tread is similar enough I think they'll look ok.

chaos52

The wheels and tires are on  :o WOW

The stripe is going on tomorrow. I'll post photos then!

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

fy469rtse

Holy crap that's such a nice car now ,
:2thumbs: wanna help me with next few  :lol:

Homerr

Great work!   :2thumbs:

Looking forward to the stripe and wheels.

TUFCAT

chaos52

Here she is. The stripe went on well, but it kept bubbling up when we tried to peel off the top layer. It was only in the 50s today, so I hope that's where the problem was. I turned on the furnace and kept the shop around 70 for most of the day. Going to let it sit over night and try again tomorrow.

The rear passenger's side tire is going to hit the outer lip. I want to lower it 2" anyway, so I'm hoping I can modify the blocks to shift the axle .5" to the driver's side. The driver's side has about 1" clearance.

I also bolted on the bell housing to test-fit the trans and see how deep I need to drill into the crank. (I have a roller bearing from Brewers to use instead of the factory pilot bushing)

cheers!  :cheers:

chaos52

:cheers:

chaos52

I try to imagine miles of hot blacktop stretching to the horizon.  :coolgleamA:

Baldwinvette77

I just Came..... TO SAY I LOVE YOUR CAR  :drool5:

Also i need to change my pants

don duick

that stripe looks better with the backing paper still on. well in the photo anyway.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on September 13, 2014, 08:48:50 PM
I just Came..... TO SAY I LOVE YOUR CAR  :drool5:

Also i need to change my pants

....and underwear  :yesnod:

Charger-Bodie

If you peel the overlay off the stripe and just leave the bubbles alone they will go away. If you push on them etc. the material will stretch and they will be permanent .

Looking sharp!

chaos52

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on September 13, 2014, 09:16:27 PM
If you peel the overlay off the stripe and just leave the bubbles alone they will go away. If you push on them etc. the material will stretch and they will be permanent .

Looking sharp!

The guy that helped me put it on has done hundreds of striping jobs. He was concerned about it creasing, not necessarily bubbles. I'm sure you're right, but I'll go on his recommendation and wait until tomorrow.  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

That is one fine looking car!  :drool5:
Nice job!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

PtitRaisin

Quentin

djcarguy

Quote from: chaos52 on September 13, 2014, 08:44:26 PM
Here she is. The stripe went on well, but it kept bubbling up when we tried to peel off the top layer. It was only in the 50s today, so I hope that's where the problem was. I turned on the furnace and kept the shop around 70 for most of the day. Going to let it sit over night and try again tomorrow.

The rear passenger's side tire is going to hit the outer lip. I want to lower it 2" anyway, so I'm hoping I can modify the blocks to shift the axle .5" to the driver's side. The driver's side has about 1" clearance.

I also bolted on the bell housing to test-fit the trans and see how deep I need to drill into the crank. (I have a roller bearing from Brewers to use instead of the factory pilot bushing)
:cheers: :cheers: :drool5: :drool5: :popcrn: :popcrn: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :drool5: :cheers:
cheers!  :cheers:

Cncguy